I’m an enthusiastic amateur player of folk music on a number of instruments including the hurdy-gurdy, bagpipes, clarinet and mandolin.
Avant Deux playing at Crafty Vintage Christmas Fair, Brockholes, 2016.
Photo by Labrat – http://www.labratphotos.co.uk/
I help to organise Lancaster Eurodance and you can find a collection of my favourite traditional tunes on the Eurodance site, and I support my partner Sian Phillips as leader of the New Orchestra in Folkus.
Please see the menu bar.
I have written a few short articles on musical topics, usually to provide guidance to others who are learning to play the hrdy-gurdy or other folk instruments. They are all work in progress (comments are welcome using the contact page).
- Music Theory Basics (Aimed at hurdy-gurdy players)
- Transposing Instruments
- First Steps with the hurdy-gurdy (coming soon)
- A music notation primer for folk musicians (coming soon)
- A diagram of the some important musical modes and scales
- Some notes on using computers to typeset music, including ABC notation resources
You can find some collected links to videos of folk tunes here